Digimon
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
9th November 2015 03:45 AM
Here's a thread for everything Digimon related, including the Digimon Adventure Tri

Anime

[Image: u7emZPG.jpg]

Digimon Adventure

The first series of Digimon, and the one that put the franchise on the map in America. This will likely be what most people think of when they think about Digimon. There's a lot of things about this series that works and quite a bit that doesn't. However, it's still a strong showing of a series and worth at least trying to watch again. It started basically everything people expect from a Digimon series, such as the hot-blooded protagonist, the cool-headed second in command, and plenty of other common tropes in the series. A strong contender for most peoples' favorite series of Digimon. Also has two really good movies attached to it.

[Image: 1KgS8Pu.jpg]

Digimon Adventure 02

The sequel to the first series, focusing on a new cast of kids. This one has definitely aged a lot worse than the original, and most of its problems are due to a lot of problems with management. This series had tons of people working on it, all with different ideas on what to do, and none of them really go anywhere. Not the worst thing ever, but it's definitely not what I would call "great". It's notable for being the first series of Digimon that introduced human villains, and they were the highlight of the show. Has two mediocre movies attached to it.

Also fun-fact: "02" does not refer to the fact that it's a sequel, but to the fact that it takes place in the far-off future of 2002.

[Image: l0MXj6i.jpg]

Digimon Tamers

Originally disliked when it first came out due to ditching the continuity of the previous two series, Digimon Tamers is the oddball of the franchise. Digimon stay permanently dead, it's more of a sci-fi/cyberpunk series with some eldritch horror than a straight up fantasy series like other Digimon series. This is due to Toei's executives taking a hands off approach after their writers threatened to quit due to the mismanagement of Adventure 02. This led to Chiaki J. Konaka (Serial Experiements Lain) to come on as head writer of the series, and his influence really shows. Since it's release, it has gained much recognition as a great series, being many fans' favorite, and generally considered the franchises' magnum opus for it's more mature character development and storytelling. Also the darkest Digimon-related piece of media to date. It also has two movies attached to it, a radio drama, and a prequel manga.

[Image: mcg9XOd.jpg]

Digimon Frontier

This series was the first to be aired on Disney instead of Fox Kids, and ditched the partner Digimon in favor of a more sentai-style series where the kids would turn into the Digimon themselves. Generally considered to be really average by most everyone who has seen it, it's only really worth watching for those who just can't get enough Digimon.

[Image: 30TNjNS.jpg]

Digimon Savers

I have not personally seen this one yet, but as far as I'm aware, this one follows in Tamers' footsteps of having a darker tone, and features older characters instead of just kids. Not the most popular series, but it's reportedly better than Frontier.

[Image: w8Id2CS.jpg]

Digimon Xros Wars

I honestly don't know anything about this series other than it got a lot of hate because it didn't have digivolving for a long time. It also has a sequel called "The Young Hunters Who Leaped Through Time" which brings back characters from previous series together, but that's apparently shit and nothing is really done with the idea anyway.

[Image: SMnq2bJ.jpg]

Digimon X-Evolution

This is just a single movie that is CGI instead of 2D, but I felt like it deserved being brought up here anyway. The only movie to never receive an English dub, this is only surpassed by Tamers in terms of how dark it is. There are no humans at all in the story, and just focuses on the Digimon and the X-Antibody, a trait in Digimon that unlocks a more powerful form. Includes fan favorite Digimon like Omegamon and Dukemon, but it's overall pretty average. Worth checking out at the very least since it's only about an hour and a half long anyway.

[Image: xBQEs4m.jpg]

Digimon Adventure Tri

Yet another sequel to Digimon Adventure, this time bringing back the original cast and their partner Digimon for a new adventure. This will be a six-part movie series, with the first part releasing very soon in Japan, with a Blu-Ray release at Japanese retail December 18th. Unfortunately, this being made also resonates with recent comments made by Toei that the only way Digimon can survive as a viable brand is by appealing to nostalgic older fans. On the bright side, there's always the chance that this thing's success could lead to a sequel to Tamers.

Check out the trailer here:

As well as the first five minutes of the movie subbed:

AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticBananas!JellySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
14th November 2015 12:28 AM
Here's scans of Digimon Tamers 1984

Spoiler:

AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJellySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Kadae Away Wandering Tea Salespony

More info
14th November 2015 12:50 AM
Since it's not a continuation of the previous series, would it be reasonable to watch Digimon Tamers without having seen anything else?
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJellySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some applesROLL FIZZLEBEEF!
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
14th November 2015 12:52 AM
Yeah, it works on its own since it's a new universe and has it's own set of rules that's different from the previous series, so it will explain that kind of stuff to.

AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyGreen with EnvySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Kadae Away Wandering Tea Salespony

More info
14th November 2015 12:57 AM
(14th November 2015 12:52 AM)Yin Wrote:  Yeah, it works on its own since it's a new universe and has it's own set of rules that's different from the previous series, so it will explain that kind of stuff to.

Awesome! I'll be giving it a watch pretty soon, so I'll be back to post about my misadventures.
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJelly2spoopyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
20th November 2015 09:08 AM
http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/20...ing-lineup

Adventure Tri is going to be available subbed on Crunchyroll for subscribers today

AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyGreen with EnvySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodwhy is this happing?Buy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
20th November 2015 02:37 PM
I assume "episodes 1-4" means the movie is split into four
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJelly3spooky5meWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodwhy is this happing?Buy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
20th November 2015 08:52 PM
It's already out on Horriblesubs.

AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJellySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Parhelia Offline Kawaii

More info
20th November 2015 09:00 PM
I'll watch this after I make lunch today.
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
23rd November 2015 01:21 AM
The second movie is going to air March 12, 2016 and will be up on Simulcast the same day as well.

Here's a low-quality poster for the movie that has a pretty big spoiler on it

Spoiler:

PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Travis Offline i rrerr therefore i am

More info
23rd November 2015 01:23 AM
(23rd November 2015 01:21 AM)Yin Wrote:  The second movie is going to air March 12, 2016 and will be up on Simulcast the same day as well.

Here's a low-quality poster for the movie that has a pretty big spoiler on it

Spoiler:

Whatever it is, I can't see it. mlp-dereading
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
23rd November 2015 01:25 AM
You'd only know why it's a spoiler if you've seen Digimon Adventure first.

AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJelly2spoopyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
9th December 2015 07:40 AM
http://www.digimonworld.org/2015/12/digi...aunch.html

The old Digimon movies are coming out on blu-ray soon.

PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Xinder Offline CORRECTION COUNTER: 131

More info
31st January 2016 07:37 AM
Catching up on Savers so I can join Yin's stream on a day when I am actually free finally.

This show is great and I love the protagonist so much.

[Image: haro.gif]
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
12th February 2016 02:35 AM

There was a preview for the second part of Adventure Tri released a few weeks ago that I just saw. It also confirms that the third part is coming out this Summer.

Oh, another one came out just today

(This post was last modified: 12th February 2016 02:43 AM by Roth.)
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJellySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodwhy is this happing?Buy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Xinder Offline CORRECTION COUNTER: 131

More info
19th February 2016 04:17 PM
i finished the first part of tri

it's super obvious fanservice but really well done fanservice so i enjoyed it. i am excited for more of it.

i also really want tai and mat to kiss

[Image: haro.gif]
Agree x1 (list)
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
22nd February 2016 01:15 PM
Considering this being fanservice means we're getting all the Mega evolutions for every main character outside of the games, I'm ok with it.

AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulFabulousPessimisticArtisticCrazyJelly2spoopyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some applesROLL FIZZLEBEEF!
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Scoot Offline Man i'm busy.

More info
22nd February 2016 03:38 PM
(22nd February 2016 01:15 PM)Yin Wrote:  Considering this being fanservice means we're getting all the Mega evolutions for every main character outside of the games, I'm ok with it.

Maybe this time Seraphimon and Magnadramon get to actually do something before getting jobbed.
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
11th April 2016 10:01 AM
I watched part 2 a couple of weeks ago.

I want more of

AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyGreen with EnvySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)