JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: A comprehensive guide
Nina Offline No.1

More info
3rd June 2015 06:17 PM
So you want to get in on the latest anime memes but don't know where to start but I'm here to help. Since lately people have actually started caring about this series to some extent I'm putting together a small info dump for how to get in on the most homoerotic series this side of actual boys' love.

[Image: 9lxHDHw.png]

What is「JoJo」?

Originally starting in Shonen Jump in 1986, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is one of the longest running manga series out there. Originally starting out as the more stylish offshoot of Fist of the North Star JoJo distinguished itself over the years due to it's unique art, clever battles and colourful characters. Since then the series has become a multigenerational anthology work of sorts covering eight individual and distinct story arcs that explore different genres, settings and art styles while keeping the series DNA as a stylish battle manga intact.

Currently the eighth part of the series, JoJolion, is being serialized in the monthly seinen manga magazine Ultra Jump. Translated chapters usually follow very shortly after each release around the 20th of every month.

Where do I start?

You can read the entirety of the manga here.

My personal recommendation for experiencing the series to its fullest is reading the original manga from the beginning in its original black and white format. While translation issues have plagued the series due to its length, currently most parts have received a very decent fan translation. Only Part 5 is still suffering from some old, very inaccurate translation but a retranslation is currently underway and proceeding at a decent pace. While a digitally coloured version is available for some parts I personally would not recommend it due to the poor colouring work for most of it which isn't supervised by the original artist.

In the recent years the series has also received its first complete TV anime adaptation by David Production. While I personally prefer the manga the anime is very decent and is currently just about done adapting the first three parts. If you're not much of a comics person it's an acceptable substitute. The anime is available on Crunchyroll but has changed names due to copyright reasons so acquiring subtitled versions by other means isn't looked down upon.

What's「good」about this series anyways?

JoJo is very much coloured by the interests of its author which are rather unusual for something like an action manga. The artwork is detailed yet very stylized, full of dynamic poses inspired by classic sculpting and scattered with outlandish designs influenced by fashion artists like Antonio Lopez whose works in particular are paid homage to quite often. Another notable artistic inspiration for JoJo is Paul Gauguin whose vividly coloured paintings provided the influence for the signature colouring style of JoJo that focuses more on aesthetically pleasing colour combinations rather than realism. As a result canonical colour schemes are simply something that doesn't exist in JoJo.

[Image: nZBNwNZ.png]

The author is also a big fan of the horror and mystery genres and elements of those are often incorporated in the series. Majority of the time fights are built around the mystery of the function of the opponent's often gruesome ability and overcoming it with resourcefulness. Especially as the series grew its own identity over time this element became more accentuated which led to the signature paranormal abilities of JoJo with very specific and complex rules.

The western music influences are probably also worth a mention. JoJo has been a localization nightmare for years due to most characters and abilities being named after varyingly famous western musicians, albums and songs.

Anything else?

Aside of the recent TV anime JoJo was mostly known to western audiences through a fighting game for the arcades, PS1 and Dreamcast by Capcom (from which some classic dank memes originate) as well as an OVA series based on Part 3. While the OVA series features some fluid animation it cuts and alters so much content it can't be recommended for first time watching. It's still a piece of JoJo history and worth watching especially for it's adaptation of the climax of Part 3. Do note that the release order and chronological order are backwards with the OVAs though and 1993 series adapts the latter half of Part 3 while the 2000 one adapts the first half.

JoJo has spawned quite a few videogames aside the classic fighter, most notably All Star Battle for the PS3 recently. However one of the better JoJo games is the fanmade RPG The 7th Stand User which features the ability to play through Part 3 as your own OC donut steel with actually a very creative range of original abilities which can even affect the story as well as storylines that diverge from the original. There's a lot of content to be found in it if you're a fan.

The 7th Stand User fangame

Now sink my thread in memes

[Image: tumblr_np4d8qh1Fy1s2kojso1_540.png]
(This post was last modified: 7th November 2015 12:10 AM by Nina.)
Menacing x3 (list)
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJellySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
3rd June 2015 06:18 PM
Dio X 7up

AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJelly3spooky5meWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
3rd June 2015 06:19 PM
(3rd June 2015 06:18 PM)Chaos Wrote:  Dio X 7up

[Image: tumblr_inline_mvtdjkvBEV1r6yp64.png]
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJellySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Unit Offline woof

More info
3rd June 2015 06:37 PM
I still really want instrumentals of the Battle Tendency OST.
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
3rd June 2015 06:43 PM
Some of the tracks on the first soundtrack are at least cut instrumentals of them. Basically the first one is most of the music actually used in the show and the second one is the vocal tracks. Like this is partially just instrumental of I'm in Control.

I actually like the vocal ones and it's a shame they didn't use any as is.
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulWishful ThinkingPessimisticArtisticBananas!Green with EnvySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Ezhik Offline ハリネズミ

More info
3rd June 2015 07:44 PM
i watched the very first episode of jojo anime (the new one) yesterday (the one set in victorian england or something), it was pretty interesting.
(This post was last modified: 3rd June 2015 07:47 PM by Ezhik.)
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
3rd June 2015 07:49 PM
Phantom Blood is basically Fist of the North Star meets Dracula but it's still entertaining enough even if it's not the most original part.
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
3rd June 2015 07:54 PM
WRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYEAD the manga

AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJelly3spooky5meWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
3rd June 2015 08:00 PM
I forgot to add the mandatory PSA

AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJelly2spoopyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Ezhik Offline ハリネズミ

More info
3rd June 2015 08:03 PM
this is one of the first flashes i ever saw on the internet and i never even knew it was a jojo thing until much, much, much later: http://dagobah.net/flash/Wryyyyowned_part_4.swf
Agree x1 (list)
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
11th June 2015 09:20 AM
(3rd June 2015 08:03 PM)Ezhik Wrote:  this is one of the first flashes i ever saw on the internet and i never even knew it was a jojo thing until much, much, much later: http://dagobah.net/flash/Wryyyyowned_part_4.swf

That's the problem with a series that's gone on for this long. People stop considering things spoilers and don't bother because of how old it is.

Doesn't help that basically everything about Dio in Part 3 is a meme now.

AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJelly2spoopyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Ezhik Offline ハリネズミ

More info
11th June 2015 09:40 AM
I have absolutely no clue wherever that is a spoiler or not, to be honest.
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
11th June 2015 09:52 AM
I try to be considerate but between the Capcom game, the OVA and all the memes so many people were spoiled without even realizing that a lot of this stuff has become common internet knowledge by now.
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeHeartsUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJellySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
11th June 2015 09:56 AM
It's like how everybody knows that Goku becomes a Super Saiyan, except not as ubiquitous.

PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
11th June 2015 10:07 AM
I'm really hoping they'll animate Part 4 mainly because it's much less covered by pre-existing adaptations like that so it'd be a much fresher experience to watch. Even though it had a clearly lower production value I enjoyed watching the first season a lot for that reason.
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
11th June 2015 10:09 AM
I'm hoping they announce it after the Part 3 anime ends in about a week.

AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyGreen with EnvySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some applesROLL FIZZLEBEEF!
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
12th June 2015 05:51 PM
Well this was cool

New episode:
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeHeartsUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJelly3spooky5meWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
daijitsu Away ASDFAFSDA

More info
14th June 2015 12:26 AM
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyGreen with EnvySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
coyote rituals Offline Kill Em All 1989

More info
14th June 2015 04:52 PM
i started watching the series with unit, we're on episode 4 now

what the fuck. im just reading about the stands all named after bands too. the fuck. the fuck is this series. what the fuck

[Image: tumblr_m7ic8zmNfx1r8rlu7o1_1280.png]
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
14th June 2015 05:18 PM
Limp Bizkit is the best stand name
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
21st June 2015 01:28 AM

AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJellySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some applesROLL FIZZLEBEEF!
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Gum Offline eldritch irony

More info
2nd August 2015 09:30 AM
Finally got myself to start Jojo and read through Phantom Blood. The art is hella weird, but I just gotta respect how its used in the storytelling. The colorist is amazing because the fire in the mansion fight looked really good.
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
2nd August 2015 10:12 AM
I really don't like the coloured version myself. Especially the early parts have really washed out colours. Fire is about the only thing that looks nice
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyGreen with EnvySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY

More info
2nd August 2015 10:20 AM
Some panels are better than others. Just like the art in general.
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJelly3spooky5meWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some applesROLL FIZZLEBEEF!
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
2nd August 2015 10:26 AM
I just mainly really dislike their choices for colour schemes and how every nighttime scene looks way too bright. Parts 4-6 look alright but the early parts just look shoddy to me and by Part 7 it starts covering up some of the detail of the artwork.

To it's favour it makes the action easier to follow and has good image quality since it's a digital release and quality isn't lost scanning physical volumes. But I can't bring myself to read it.
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
2nd August 2015 11:41 PM
Oh dear the dub is out. It's so weird

The user has a bunch of clips and it doesn't seem too bad overall though
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulFabulousPessimisticArtisticCrazyJellySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Chilly Offline Fuck Salad, You Racist

More info
3rd August 2015 09:56 AM
(3rd June 2015 06:17 PM)Nina Wrote:  You can read the entirety of the manga here.

literally the only reason I came into this thread

(3rd June 2015 08:03 PM)Ezhik Wrote:  this is one of the first flashes i ever saw on the internet and i never even knew it was a jojo thing until much, much, much later: http://dagobah.net/flash/Wryyyyowned_part_4.swf

I knew about Jojo beforehand because I'm 4chan oldfag and at the time I got on the 'net the OVA was pretty popular and I used to watch the shit out of the fight scenes. But like.... Stardust Crusaders was literally the only thing I knew about it. I thought Stands were always a part of the series, I thought Vampires were always the villains, etc. Which lead to some confusing shit because I don't remember pet shop in the OVA but I remember him from the games and I was like.... "So is he Dio's pet or something?" and then there were all these other enemies in the Anime Series and I was like "holy shit I don't remember any of these guys... where the fuck is Hol Horse, J. Geil and Enya?"

I also completely forgot about the Orangutan Stand User

also this is obligatory

I’m erasing myself from the narrative
Let future historians wonder how Eliza
Reacted when you broke her heart
You have torn it all apart
(This post was last modified: 3rd August 2015 10:00 AM by Chilly.)
Funny x2 (list)
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulWishful ThinkingPessimisticArtisticCrazyJelly2spoopyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodwhy is this happing?Buy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Ark Offline Furry trash

More info
3rd August 2015 10:07 AM
(3rd August 2015 09:56 AM)Chilly Wrote:  also this is obligatory

Oh god now that I watched this I'd love a JoJo abridged to exist.
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
3rd August 2015 10:30 AM
It does exist though
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Ark Offline Furry trash

More info
3rd August 2015 11:22 AM
(3rd August 2015 10:30 AM)Nina Wrote:  It does exist though

Oh true, but I did hear it wasn't that good.
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
3rd August 2015 12:24 PM
At least the older JJBATAS is pretty great
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJellySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodwhy is this happing?Buy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY

More info
4th August 2015 12:38 AM
Started reading Part 4

I sort of get it but like.....

I've seen people complain about how Part 4 feels so much smaller in scope compared to the epic battle in Part 3 what with Dio trying to kill off the only possible obstacle between him and global domination.... but like the implications of Part 4, that whole "What if any random shmuck off the street could be given super human powers? Powers that could make them a virtual god compared to any normal person?"

it's a classic "Beware the Supermen" just localized into a small town instead of some giant cold war-esque scenario between meta-humans

PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
4th August 2015 12:50 AM
JoJo has always taken place on a relatively small scale though. The whole ruling the world deal was secondary to the characters' personal motives like wanting to save Holly for the heroes and conquering the only fear preventing the eternal peace of mind he talks about for Dio. I never felt like Part 4 was any smaller in scope by the end.

Part of the reason I like JoJo is that it's rarely too grandiose for its own good. Taking place in mundane settings and having villains driven by something personal rather than nebulous world-threatening plans works for it much better.
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
4th August 2015 12:56 AM
I think Parts 2, 6, and 7 are about as big in scope as it gets for Jojo.

PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
4th August 2015 12:59 AM
Part 6 is almost a bit too much and I like the finale but at a certain point it starts feeling a bit out of place for the series. Though it's more understandable considering it was supposed to be the finale of the entire series.
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY

More info
4th August 2015 01:00 AM
well I meant

Part 2 has Kars and his "ultimate life form gonna fuck everyone up" deal and then Part 3 had Dio's "ZA WARUDO! Only I can be the one to control time! AND THE ENTIRE HUMAN RACE!" and Part 4 is less "single asshole wants to be king of the planet" and more "a bunch of assholes want to shit it up in general"

but the implication of how dangerous they are is still on the same levels as Dio or Kars were. I mean the elder Nijimura brother literally went around granting super powers to random people without even the slightest concern about what kind of snowball effect this had

I'm not saying the difference is bad... actually technically my point was that there is almost no difference.

PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
4th August 2015 01:03 AM
Also, all the final boss stands tend to be OP bullshit anyway, it's just what they want to do with it that makes them less of a threat than Dio and Kars.

Part 4:

PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
4th August 2015 01:06 AM
I could go more into length about Dio but that'd be taking into account stuff you haven't read yet so I digress. I just don't think he ever literally meant becoming the actual ruler of the world in the same sense as he would have as a more immature villain in Part 1.
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeHeartsUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyJellySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
4th August 2015 01:07 AM
Dio went on to found the Patriots and controlled the world from the shadows.

AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticCrazyGreen with EnvySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodwhy is this happing?Buy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY

More info
4th August 2015 01:08 AM
at first I thought you meant the Football team

which would actually be an even more impressive way of taking control of the world

PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Roth Offline Baeven

More info
4th August 2015 01:09 AM
Dio is a cheater.

PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
4th August 2015 01:10 AM
Spoiler:
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Travis Offline i rrerr therefore i am

More info
4th August 2015 01:10 AM
Would he be Tom Brady or the coach Bill B-whatever-chek
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulWishful ThinkingPessimisticArtisticBananas!JellySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some applesROLL FIZZLEBEEF!
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Irenarch Offline Retired Staff

More info
4th August 2015 01:11 AM
Belichick is the word you're looking for

[Image: j1wF0Ir.png]
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY

More info
4th August 2015 04:05 AM
(4th August 2015 12:38 AM)Chilly Wrote:  Started reading Part 4

I sort of get it but like.....

I've seen people complain about how Part 4 feels so much smaller in scope compared to the epic battle in Part 3 what with Dio trying to kill off the only possible obstacle between him and global domination.... but like the implications of Part 4, that whole "What if any random shmuck off the street could be given super human powers? Powers that could make them a virtual god compared to any normal person?"

it's a classic "Beware the Supermen" just localized into a small town instead of some giant cold war-esque scenario between meta-humans

i love part 4 and i honestly think its way better than stardust

though part 2 is still dabes

also i cant understand complaining about the lack of scale or part 4 not escalating off the other parts. i think part of what makes jojo so special as shonen manga is that it doesn't just write itself into the corner of perpetual escalation and intensity.

(This post was last modified: 4th August 2015 04:07 AM by coyote rituals.)
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY

More info
4th August 2015 06:22 AM
I'm currently thinking about getting the Dreamcast game. Played it a while ago on there and recently on MAME. Now that I'm learning who the characters actually are its looking more attractive to me. The PS3 game is interesting too, but no nostalgia for it obviously.
AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulFabulousPessimisticArtisticCrazyJellySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY

More info
5th August 2015 01:27 PM
Toni the Chef... in his first appearance has a slight accent in the translation I'm reading.

then randomly in his second appearance
"Illa be surea to be warning my customersa"

thanks Mario
mlp-pv

PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Nina Offline No.1

More info
5th August 2015 01:35 PM
Part 4 has a decent translation these days but they really don't take it too seriously Sa-v
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY
Ark Offline Furry trash

More info
5th August 2015 01:49 PM
I blame Duwang
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY

More info
5th August 2015 09:51 PM
I FEEL YOU

I FEEL YOU DEEPLY

I FEEL YOUR FEELING DEEPLY

AgreeDisagreeMaybeFunnyWinnerZingInformativeFriendlyUsefulOptimisticPessimisticArtisticBananas!JellySpookyWiseHiByeWhat?Dis gon' be goodI'm horrifiedBuy some apples
PM USER
QUOTE REPLY

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  OP Guide Roth 0 212 2nd December 2015 04:00 AM
Last Post: Roth